Monday, June 06, 2005

Dallas city council results are in.

Well, now we know what the new city council looks like. It's Medrano in District 2. I still don't know what to think about that race. Angela Hunt in District 14, yay! Natinksy in District 12 and Fantroy in District 8.

To me, the striking thing about the results was how low the turnout is. No surprise, of course, but it's still shocking to see how few people came out. From Dalcoelections.org:

District 2: 10%
District 8: 6%
District 12: 8%
District 14: 11%

This sort of thing makes me hope that at DFA we'll continue our "Apathy Project" and really do something. The more I am invovled in politics, the more I become interested in this "meta-problem" if you will -- how do you get MORE people invovled in politics? I am convinced that it's not good for our democracy to have such a high level of citizen apathy. But how do you break through it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home